Physical rehabilitation services
Welcome to Lovelace Health System's Rehabilitation Services, where we prioritize your journey to recovery and well-being. Our state-of-the-art rehab center is dedicated to providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services. We offer tailored rehabilitation therapy and injury recovery programs for a wide range of conditions, including stroke, Parkinson's disease, breast cancer, brain injuries, and more. Discover the power of our physical rehabilitation services as we guide you through personalized programs designed to restore and enhance your health. At Lovelace, your path to recovery is our top priority.
- Brain injuries
- Hip fractures
- Major multiple trauma
- Neurological disorders
- Spinal cord injury
- Spine rehabilitation
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Swallowing program
- Activities of daily living training
- Aquatics program
- Back pain
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation
- Brain injury rehabilitatiaon
- Brest cancer rehabilitation
- Certified pre-employment ability testing
- Certified wheelchair evaluations
- Concussion therapy and testing program
- Continence program
- Fall prevention
- Foot and ankle
- Functional capacity evaluations
- Hand and upper extremity
- Home safety evaluations
- Interventional pain clinic
- LOUD Crowd
- Lymphedema program
- Neurological impairment
- Occupational health
- Occupational therapy
- Orthopedic conditions
- Outpatient message therapy
- Pain managment
- Parkinson's Program
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation
- Pre-work screenings
- Return to work program
- Runner's Clinic
- SPEAK OUT!
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports injuries
- Sportsmetrics Injury Prevention
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Swallowing evaludation and intervention
- Voice program
- Work injury program
- Worksite evaluation program
If you’re in need of rehabilitation services,
ask your provider for a referral to Lovelace Health System.
Our committed rehabilitation team strives to help patients achieve their wellness goals by enhancing your strength, endurance, balance, coordination, range of motion, and mobility. Whether you are recovering from an injury or surgery, or managing bone, muscle, and nerve disorders, our tailored programs address a variety of needs.
Explore our specialized rehabilitation services and injury recovery programs:
- Aquatics programs: Dive into effective rehabilitation through water-based therapies.
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation: Our specialists will help improve your equilibrium and spatial awareness for improved stability.
- Brain injury program: Specialized care for patients recovering from brain injuries.
- Breast cancer rehabilitation: Our team offers support for breast cancer survivors.
- Certified wheelchair evaluations: We ensure optimal mobility solutions for enhanced independence.
- Concussion therapy and testing: Experience tailored care for concussion recovery and ongoing monitoring.
- Continence program: We address pelvic health for improved continence and overall health.
- Fall prevention: Our team offers comprehensive strategies to reduce the risk of falls.
- Foot and ankle rehabilitation: Specialized care for foot and ankle-related concerns.
- Gynecological cancer rehabilitation: Holistic support for gynecological cancer survivors.
- Interventional pain clinic: Innovative approaches to managing pain for improved quality of life.
- Lymphedema program: Comprehensive care for individuals managing lymphedema.
- Massage therapy: Our massage therapists provide therapeutic massages for relaxation and rehabilitation.
- Neuropsychology: Expert psychological support for cognitive well-being.
- Parkinson’s disease program: We offer comprehensive services to support patients diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. This includes the Forever Maintenance program, an 8-week group program led by certified clinicians who provide support and encouragement to patients.
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation: We provide specialized therapies for pelvic health.
- Pregnancy and postpartum program: Comprehensive care for expectant and new mothers.
- Psychology: We integrate emotional and mental health support programs into your rehabilitation.
- Runner's clinic: Our runner’s clinic offers specialized care for runners to prevent and address injuries.
- Spinal cord injury: Rely on our experts for exceptional spinal cord injury rehabilitation.
- Sports injury treatments: We offer specialized programs for athletes recovering from sports-related injuries, including our Sports Metrics ACL injury program to help athletes prevent ACL injuries.
- Stroke program: Our neurologists and rehab specialists offer rehabilitation for stroke survivors.
Experience comprehensive and effective rehabilitation at our dedicated facility. Your wellness journey is our priority.
The rehabilitation specialists at Lovelace are dedicated to providing education on workplace safety, body mechanics, and ergonomics. Our focus is on preventing injuries before they occur, recognizing the significance of prevention over rehabilitation or medical treatments.
Explore our diverse occupational therapy programs:
- Activities of Daily Living: Engage in daily exercises in our therapy gym to enhance practical skills like maneuvering around furniture, handling a steering wheel, or using an ATM machine.
- Hand and upper extremity clinic: Our team provides specialized care for hand and upper extremity dysfunction. Our services include joint protection, functional training, home programs, manual therapy, modalities, splinting, therapeutic exercise, and wound care.
We also offer a range of assessments to ensure a healthy workforce. Thorough evaluations match workers' physical abilities with the critical demands of their jobs, providing benefits such as injury prevention and the empowerment of employees and employers to address symptoms early.
Our rehabilitation specialists provide the following evaluations:
- Functional capacity evaluation: Measure clients' ability to perform job functions, guiding recommendations for returning to work after illness or injury.
- Pre-work screening (PWS): Assess job applicants' functional abilities for specific roles, ensuring fair hiring decisions in a legal and nondiscriminatory way.
- Worksite evaluations: Promote a healthy workforce with ergonomic assessments, workplace design assistance, and support for redesign and remodels. Choose Lovelace Health System for proactive occupational therapy that prioritizes prevention and enhances the overall well-being of your workforce.
Speech language pathology
The outpatient speech-language pathology department at Lovelace UNM Rehabilitation Hospital offers a comprehensive range of services for adults and pediatric populations (over 2 years old). Utilizing a multidisciplinary approach, we collaborate with physicians throughout treatment.
Your ability to speak or swallow can be affected by a variety of conditions, including:
- Cognitive impairment
- Fluency disorder
- Genetic disorders
- Neurological conditions
- Parkinson’s disease
- Reduced intelligibility/speech disorder
- Swallowing disorders
- Traumatic brain injury
- Voice disorder
In partnership with otolaryngologists, our Voice & Dysphagia program evaluates and treats a variety of disorders, including:
- Cancer of the larynx
- Flexible and/or rigid laryngoscopy
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPRD)
- Muscle tension dysphonia
- Neurologic voice disorders
- Psychogenic voice disorder
- Reinke’s edema
- SPEAK OUT!
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Vocal cord atrophy
- Vocal cord dysfunction
- Vocal cord granuloma
- Vocal cord growths
- Vocal cord scarring
- Vocal fold immobility/paresis
- Voice evaluation with instrumentation
- Voice laryngostroboscopy
- Voice recording and analysis
Lovelace UNM Rehabilitation Hospital specializes in the evaluation and treatment of swallowing issues, including:
- Bedside Swallow Assessment
- Education and training for patients and caregivers on diet precautions and compensatory strategies.
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES)
- Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation technique
- Video swallow capabilities
- Visual biofeedback with nasal endoscopy
Trust us for thorough and effective speech and swallowing care tailored to your unique needs.
Parkinson's Therapy Program
We are pleased to offer a two-part, 8-week speech and physical/occupational therapy program to help individuals with Parkinson’s disease. This program is designed to help patients regain and maintain quality of life throughout the progression of Parkinson’s. Our clinicians are certified in a variety of evidence based Parkinson’s specific therapy programs.
Our Physical Therapy (PT) teams utilize LSVT BIG® to increase movement from head to toe to improve walking, balance and other activities of daily living. This program drives high-intensity with high-effort practice to help teach patients how to recognize that movements with increased amplitude are actually within normal range of motion.
Our Occupational Therapy (OT) teams provide the PWR!Moves® and LSVT BIG® programs. Occupational therapy is used to help patients continue with their daily tasks as their disease progresses. Daily tasks include engaging in activities the patient wants to, needs to, or is expected to do. Our therapists may assess the patients mobility, fall prevention, sit-to-stand transfers, bed mobility, posture and seating, eating and drinking, self-care routines, fatigue management, domestic skills (meal preparation, housework, shopping, etc.), as well as handwriting. OTs also offer support to changes in relationship dynamics to promote normal, daily routines for Parkinson's patients.
Our Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) are certified in SPEAK OUT!®. This program places emphasis on speaking with intent and converting speech from an automatic function to an intentional act. By working through a series of speech, voice, and cognitive exercises with the goal of increasing vocal volume and strengthening the muscles used for speaking and swallowing, our SLP’s help Parkinson's patients regain and maintain effective communication.
Forever Maintenance Program
Upon completion of this two-part, 8-week program, our patients are invited to participate in weekly group sessions led by our certified clinicians. The exercises are performed and group members provide support, encouragement, and accountability to one another.
Along with daily home practice and a recommended evaluation every 6 months, our program has been shown to help patients maintain their independence, mobility, swallowing, and communication skills throughout the progression of their Parkinson’s Disease.
For more information about our Parkinson’s therapy program, please call 727.3601.