Heart healthy recipe of the week: Rainbow Cauliflower Crust Pizza. Did you know that cauliflower contains unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer?
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon basil or rosemary minced (or dry)
- ½ teaspoon oregano minced (or dry)
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup diced bell peppers yellow, orange, red, green, or any combo of your choice
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup canned corn (optional)
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower - should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
- Preheat oven to 500℉.
- Remove the stems from the cauliflower and cut into chunks, Place the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse it until it resembles the texture of rice. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater or chop it very finely.
- Microwave the processed cauliflower uncovered in a microwave safe bowl for approximately 4-5 minutes on high. Remove it from the microwave and allow it to cool for at least 4-5 minutes (trust me don't rush this step!). After the cauliflower is slightly cooled, place it in a kitchen towel and squeeze all the liquid out of it. Be sure to squeeze as much liquid as humanly possible.
- Combine the cooked cauliflower, egg, garlic, cheese, and seasonings. Stir until a dough texture forms. Spread the cauliflower mixture out onto lightly greased parchment paper or a pizza pan in the shape of a pizza crust.
- Bake the crust for approximately 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven), or until the crust is golden and crispy. I cooked mine for approximately 15 minutes. After the crust is golden remove it from the oven and top with pizza sauce then cheese then the chopped veggies.
- Place the pizza back in the oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes.